Monday, April 6, 2009

ConceptArt.org Character of the Week: Dr. Who



This was a good piece to do. I didn't really know a lot about Dr. Who and I don't prefer doing sci-fi art, but I felt it would be good practice to do anyway. I love to read sci-fi and if someday someone decide to hire me to do sci-fi art I wouldn't turn it down, but when I dream up images they tend to be more towards light-fantasy or surreal narrative. That's where I'd like to find illustration work- so although this piece distracts somewhat from building a portfolio towards that, it would be good practice nonetheless.

Researching Dr. Who was a lot of fun. I knew next to nothing about it, and it looks a wonderful mix of camp and cool stuff. I love the idea of the regenerating doctor- blatantly done to get new actors into the role, but they really ran with it, and it adds an interesting dimension to the character across the different actors. I loved David Tennant as Barty Crouch Jr. in the Harry Potter movies- really a standout supporting actor: only on screen for a little bit, but totally memorable. Would love to see some of his Dr. Who episodes, along with all of the other doctors.

So I had to do a lot of research out of my comfort zone, and also try to scale the piece properly so I could get it done and do it justice (shot too high with my last Character of the Week effort). This was also a chance to put some new digital painting techniques to the test. I didn't get to spend quite as much time on this as I would have liked (Aileen and I went out of town this weekend and got back much later that expected last night), but it still is a major improvement on the last CHOW in several ways, which is about all I could ask for.

No comments: